Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly.....

We just had an awesome weekend in Michigan visiting my brother & his family. One of those whirlwind get-aways that is filled to the max. On Saturday we had decided to check out the University of Michigan campus since both Sam & my nephew Adam are graduating this year and in the mode of college searching. The extra treat for the day were free, yes free, tickets to the U of M vs. Notre Dame football game. It was insane! Students everywhere, thousands of them! The campus itself is gorgeous, rich in tradition with beautiful old buildings covered in ivy...just what you'd imagine a college campus looking like. And, it is ranked one of the top state schools in the country. So, that's the "good".


The "bad" is the unbelievable whooping the U of M football team put on Notre Dame! A crushing 38-0 for the final score. The crowd, numbered at around 110,000, was crazed. The players are most definitely "bad", as was their student cheering section that stood the entire game...chanting, singing & waving their pom-poms in unison.


The "ugly"...well let's just say that I've always heard about frat houses, but other than watching "Animal House", have never witnessed the sight for myself. It was a sight to behold. Droves of students partying everywhere on campus, but most notably on the front lawns, porches, balconies, and yes, roofs of their frat houses. Some even climbing out of 2nd & 3rd story windows. Plenty of alcohol to go around to be sure & stereo speakers the size of compact cars booming in competition to the house next door. I'm disappointed to say that I have no pics of this spectacle, I think I was too much in awe to actually pull out my camera. Some of our group witnessed a girl throwing up into a cardboard box out on the street. I, thankfully, was fortunate enough to have missed this girl's proud moment.

So, this is college. I guess in today's culture you can't have one without the others. As my daughter tells me, you can't avoid it no matter where you go to school, it just comes down to your own personal choice. I pray she's making and will continue to make good ones. I've even had students from Christian colleges tell me about the partying going on there. No campus is immune.....again, its all about personal choice. We've got a lot to pray about. Temptation is a hard thing to battle when you're only 18 years old. You want them to have an awesome college experience, realizing that the cost could be more than just the price of tuition.

All in all....U of M is an amazing place...beauty everywhere & prestigious in its dispensing of education. You take it as it is....the good, the bad & the ugly.

No comments: