Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Beauty of the Barter...

Okay, it is totally NOT my style to show many pictures of myself. Today, however, I'm going to show off just a tiny bit. Well, to be honest, I'm not showing off myself as much as the gifted talent of my friend Meredith. While her husband was away bow hunting this weekend, Meredith graciously agreed to cut & color my overgrown mess of hair in her home. I had priced out the salon I've been going to for years and just couldn't afford it since neither my son nor I work there anymore (working there = significant discounts). Meredith is an extremely gifted hair stylist who works in a very lovely, exclusive salon that I also cannot afford. She & I got to talking the other day and came up with an excellent way to bless each other. Here's what she did for me...










Yeah, my friend added some beautiful highlights & cut about 6 inches off my hair! Happy day! It really was driving me crazy. And what does she get out of it you ask? On Thursday of this week, I am going to clean her entire home. Yes, that is my current mode of employment & one that a woman heading into her 3rd trimester seemed all too happy to accept. She thinks she got the better end of the deal. Looking at these pictures, I beg to differ. She has got talent! I just have a love of cleanliness & order. But, if it makes her & Erik happy, then I will have done my job.

Can I tell you that I LOVE the barter system??!! I have always thought that this is the way to go. Especially for those of us who are a little financially challenged. Like Cliff works on my son's car, I cook him & his family a meal or babysit their boy. It all works out in the end, each side usually feeling like they got the better end of the deal. In a perfect world, we could all make use of the barter system, since I'm pretty sure God gave us all gifts, or at least like in my case, abilities, that others can make use of. I guess it could get tricky when you're say a surgeon, a garbage collector or maybe a mime... But, hey, on a personal level, its working pretty well in my world.

And not only did Meredith send me home with stylish new hair, complete with covered up roots, she gave me a 1/2 dozen homemade cookies! She's the best... Thank you Meredith!!! I love you!

(And thank you Cliff!!!)


4 comments:

Deidra said...

SANDY I LOVE THE DOO. It is so stinking cute. I love that you went shorter. Our friend is so talented. And you are as well. I have been so blessed by you and our barter system, even though it is unspoken. I missed you this weekend and I am glad I got to see you with your foils today. I am sorry now that I didn't stay. Seeing how I just now at 10:00pm finished my stupid paper that I procrastinated all day. Ok enough I am writing a book in your comment section sorry. Love Ya

Unknown said...

I don't do any of the mechanic stuff for the payback. I do it cause I like to, & I love you guys. So there.

Later,
Cliff

Matt Carson said...

LOOKING GOOD SANDY QUEEN! meredith does an excellent job doesn't she? i remember when we all got our hair cut for their zambia trip... i've never gotten so many phone calls than in that week (3 from my mom, 2 wrong numbers).

let me know if your computer breaks. i'll all over it!

The Arnold Family said...

OK, you look SOO great! I had no idea that this materialized and I'm so happy it did! I would like to barter with you and Mere! Oh wait...you both already know how to read. Shoot.