Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Decisions, decisions....

So, its been awhile. I guess I've had a lot on my mind. But not just me, my daughter as well. We're both facing some pretty big decisions, you know, the kind that are life changing. I've promised my ever-patient husband that I would have a regular job by the time school started. He has allowed me the luxury of spending time with my children this summer, especially since Alex was on his way out of our home. Our life has been full & crazy & my ability to focus on them has been an enormous blessing. I've also had the wonderful opportunity to help out some friends who have needed help with moving, various home projects & looking after their small beautiful children. I thank God for allowing this, and I thank Norm for giving me this gift this summer. I also owe much thanks to my friend Phil who saw fit to employ me for various organizational projects in his home/office so I wasn't completely broke all summer...but I can't shake the feeling that he & his wife have blessed me way more than I have blessed them. Thanks to you both. I recently have been offered a new job that, on initial examination, seems like something that I would be holding out for. I'm just not sure its the right thing for me. While I'm grateful that I am being considered for this job, its taking some serious thought & prayer to make sure it will not only suit me, but also my family.


My daughter is going to be a senior this year. If you remember what that's like, the pressure is on to choose a college. At the very least, narrow it down to a reasonable number and start the application process. We did take her to visit Geneseo (picture) & she really liked it. But who knows...its just the beginning. She is debating between living near home or whether to venture out a little further in the world. We're both finding ourselves needing to understand what God has for us. These are those times when you cannot simply trust you're own instincts.


In reading my friend Erik's blog recently, he's asking "What's the point?" As in, what are we really doing with our lives? I realize that every decision hinges on this. His point is beautifully made (please check it out - his link is in my list of friends). I believe that decisions about jobs we should take, schools we should attend, churches we should commit to (or not), homes we should live in, should all be run through the filter of not just what's best for us, but what will help make a difference in the world around us. Its hard...you want to take care of your family, but you also want to care about more than who's inside your own 4 walls. Again, I'm grateful that God has allowed me the time to be a blessing to those friends who have needed some extra hands, but I know that He needs me to do more. And while my daughter needs to choose where to get her education, she also needs to understand where she can make a difference in the lives of others. It's all a balancing act, loving yourself, your family & your neighbors - and praying that our decisions reflect them all. But mostly, for me, its loving the Lord enough to trust Him, and making the best use of the crazy & wonderful life He's given me.

P.S. Your prayers in all this would be greatly appreciated... Thank you.

2 comments:

Deidra said...

Hey friend what a beautiful picture of you and your girl. It was such a blessing to pool side with the two of you. I really needed to just spend some time with you. It was great. Thank you so much for your help with the move and the boy I am pretty sure our ship would be sinking if it were not for all your help. We love and miss you very much.
Love Dee
PS I am praying that God would give you direction with this job.

lynne said...

Hi! I came apon your blog & really enjoyed reading some... I think I feel I am at the same point in life...I also hope God can lead me to a job that can help others in some kind of way!!! Lynne