Friday, May 16, 2008

Cars...Love to Hate Em...


This is not Alex's car. But I'm pretty sure its the twin sister... I just wonder if the owner of this particular car has had as much fun with their car as we have had with his?? Hmmm....I doubt it. Allow me to elaborate....

As most of you know, I flew down to West Palm Beach, FL, in order to spend a few days with my son & then jump into his "new" 1996 Volvo & drive the 1,500 miles back home to Buffalo. What is the saying about the best laid plans...??? One night after a late night hockey game, we come out of the rink & the new/old car won't start. Thank God we bought the oh so smart (if not fun) gift of AAA for him when he bought it. So, left standing in a parking lot at 12:30 in the morning, we watched it get towed away. The greatest thing was just prior to its ultimate removal, macho hockey players now turned Budweiser drinkers, all stood around grunting & speculating as to what might be the problem. Even with their apparent lack of expertise, they managed to accurately make the diagnosis...fuel pump. Twenty-four hours & $620 later (they did a few other repairs as well...hey, as long as we were at it!), the car now runs great! Yippee!! Our question now, is it do we trust it to make the trip all the way up the east coast? We've opted for no.

After much discussion between Alex & I, not to mention conference calls with Norm back home, coupled with escalating gasoline prices and the fear of breaking down in Backwoods, Georgia, we are now flying home courtesy of Jet Blue. This decision, albeit something that we are all at peace with now, leaves my son home in Buffalo for a month & a half without a car. Four drivers, two cars...should make for an interesting summer.

I HATE CARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The cost of repairs & final registrations for Alex's new/old car has completely tapped him out, and has taken a pretty big chunk of mom's money as well. Dad...he took care of the plane tickets. I HATE CARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm staying a few extra days...in a house with 6 college guys...I'm sure they're thrilled. The upside...I'm staying a few extra days in 85 degree, beautiful sunshine with an ocean about 5 minutes away. Not a bad place to sit & lick your wounds. Of course, its Burger King or PB&J's for us for the next few days...but hey...we've got an ocean.

I HATE CARS!!!!!!!!!!! But did I mention the ocean??? See ya'll when we land.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We missed you tonight. I am so glad you will be home soon. I miss you like crazy. I am trying not to bother you while you enjoy the beach and we enjoy the rainy crap weather of Buffalo. Norm and I were in a fight because he didn't respond to my texts but had time to call Cliff. We are friends again though. I miss you can't wait to hang with you. Love Ya

PS Cars do suck half the time I can't get mine to go into reverse so ya cars are crap we should all just ride bikes.

The Arnold Family said...

Wow, that is pretty crazy...sounds like you made the right decision though! See you soon!