Monday, November 12, 2007

Miracles and Thankfulness...


We are quickly approaching my favorite holiday of the year. Thanksgiving. I love this holiday because of its simplicity & for the sheer idea that its a day set aside to gather with those we love and just...be....grateful. I definitely think that this is a lost art in our society...the idea of being thankful for what we have. I know that there are others who have much more materially than I do, but I am sincerely grateful for the gifts I do have. My beautiful & healthy family, our cozy home, and friends & family to share the good & not so good times of our lives. Despite the challenges Norm & I have faced over the last few years, I am determined to be grateful to God for how He's brought us through & how beautifully He has provided for us. I have some friends who are going through a particularly difficult time in their lives. They are struggling to stay afloat financially as well as trying to discover what God's plans are for their lives. They are an inspiration to me. I know that they have their difficult moments, I've been privileged to have them share honestly the enormous weight of their situation. But they inspire because they are always grateful for whatever God blesses them with. One of the things that she always says is that each week, God brings them a miracle. Whether its an anonymous gift card to Wegman's, a word of encouragement or an unexpected job that will help pay for that bill they weren't sure how they would pay. She is in constant awe as to how God continually brings blessings their way. They have learned to trust & are building their faith in His provision each time that miracle comes their way. I think God sends all of us miracles, I just wonder how often we actually perceive them as such. Are we more likely to look upon that job, that clean bill of health, the food in our refrigerator, that paid bill, that respectful teen, that obedient child as merely an everyday event? Do we overlook the everyday miracles in our lives? On a couple of occasions I was able to bless on this family & she referred to ME as the miracle. I really don't think that I am, but I'm open to the idea that God would use me for His purposes and am grateful for it. I remember feeling like, "man, she gets a miracle every week??!! I would like that." Then I realized that if I paid close attention to His gifts, I'd see that I do receive miracles all the time. I also thought that in the moment when God prompts me to reach out to a friend in need, I think I'd rather BE the miracle than RECEIVE one. Either way, its awesome to know that God is working in our lives, giving us just what we need, or using us to show love to another. So, this Thanksgiving, I will be grateful to Him for how He blesses me and my family. But, I will also be thanking Him for the chance to be that miracle to someone in need, knowing that's how He shows His true love to us and how we should do likewise.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my
beautiful friends & family!
I Love You All!!!

"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful." Colossians 3:15

4 comments:

Matt Carson said...

great post sandy! it's hard to think of things that we do as miracles, but i guess it's just a matter of perspective. it's amazing that god can use us in such amazing ways!

can't wait to see you BFF!

Anonymous said...

Sandy (& Norm) -

Hope that your Thanksgiving is a blessed one with whomever you spend it.
Blessings - Abram

Anonymous said...

For the past year I have been struggling....fighting to return to myself. To be true to myself. This year has been diffiult for me, a long journey in which I have been blessed to again find the Love & Peace within. I had lost sight of my gifts. I was heading for all the things that Society strives for....the House, Husband, Money, 2.5 kids and the "White Picket Fence!! But I had lost sight of the greatest gift I once cherished...the ability to be greatful for the daily miracles of life. The simple gifts that God gives us everyday. I am sadden by the mistakes that I have made and the hurt that I may have caused, but I have learned from these mistakes and have found inner peace. I realized that what I had been searching for, I already had within myself...I have had it all along! It's the greatest gift and the most diffult to find. It needs to be cherised, protected from those who are not greatful. I have found that many people are out to take this gift away, to take advantage. THANK YOU Sandy! I have found great peace and strenght in your words. Your entries have been a mircale for me....the strength to continue my journey. I am greatful to have meet you. You are an amazing women and I admire you.

Sandy said...

Thank you "anonymous" for your kind words & God bless you on your journey. May I ask who you are?